Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Punishment Without Hypocrisy


In a blog post titled, “Capital Punishment: Retribution for the Righteous,” Tammy Huang writes about the topic of Capital Punishment. She talks about how this penalty exists primarily to deter people from committing drastic crimes such as murder, with which I do agree, but unfortunately I have to say that this method is quite antiquated and ineffective.

First off, I strongly believe that two wrongs don’t make a right. I certainly agree that people who commit such offenses must be punished, but when we turn around and murder someone for murdering another, aren’t we actually encouraging these acts through sheer hypocrisy? The whole point of the law is that we as humans do not hold the right to take life from another, regardless of how we feel about them.

The other point that I’d like to make kind of ties in with the last one. Huang talks about striking a middle ground for these criminals and giving them the choice of death by lethal injection, or life in prison. If it were up to me, I would honestly do things a bit differently. I would not offer the option of death at all—especially by lethal injection. It’s too easy and painless. The real punishment would be to let these people spend countless hours confined to a place where they are stripped of their freedom, and have no choice but to come face to face with their own conscience.

No comments: